Suction cup types are essential when lifting or placing a slab. This is because many marble workers suffer injuries due to the excessive force involved in carrying such heavy materials. As well as granite, marble, agglomerate, etc. worktops. To avoid these problems, the use of suction cups is recommended and is a great help.
Suction cups are used to facilitate the handling, transport and installation of heavy worktops made of different materials. There is a wide variety of models, depending on the function and the place where they are to be used.
Types of suction cups: manual and pneumatic
In both cases the adhesion of both to the surface is quite similar. It is pressed against the piece and the mechanism that produces the vacuum is activated. This is the moment when it sticks to the workpiece and makes it easier to handle.
There are two types for the direct transport and positioning of the worktop: manual (manual vacuum action) and automatic. In the latter, constant clamping is guaranteed by means of a small pump. They can be adapted to the dimensions of the workpiece and are easy to handle in confined spaces. As well as the quick release valves, the product can be removed quickly and easily. This avoids damage during the transfer process.
Manual suction cups are a great innovation in the installation, positioning and fixing of worktops at an angle. As well as in very specific spaces and joint junctions, which until then were insurmountable due to the lack of tools.
In the case of the pneumatic ones, their use is aimed at factories and workshops that need to transport a board for storage or handling. To carry out this action, there are suction cups that perform the venturi effect by means of compressed air (pneumatic). This is produced by an electric pump, which can be supplied in two versions: automatic turning (by means of a pneumatic piston) or manual turning.
The structure of these types of suction cups is more complex. They consist of a metal frame with a fixed or adjustable suspension bracket. At the end of which the ring is fixed to be hooked to a crane. The clamping and release of the plates is carried out by activating a vacuum opening device.
How to use the different types of suction cups:
- Place the suction cup on the crane and on the guide (in the case of pneumatic cranes). And with the help of the pistons we adjust the suction cups to the size we need.
- Place the suction cup on the part to be handled. Press the suction cup against the worktop or table and activate the mechanism that produces the vacuum. Always making sure that it is well secured.
- We make sure that the piece is well adhered to the suction cup. Then, we proceed to place it in a horizontal position.
- Carefully move the boards to the destination.
In this video we can see how the Sink Hole Saver Manual suction cup is used for transport and installation. You can see a worktop from the moment it leaves the workshop until it is placed in the kitchen, without damaging the piece and making it easier to transport. Take a look at it!
Safety conditions for the use of suction cups:
It is important to observe the following safety points in order to avoid any mishap or serious damage to the material:
- The different types of suction cups can only be used on non-porous materials that are intact, with a smooth, self-supporting surface, sufficiently resistant to the pressure exerted for gripping, of suitable dimensions and consistency (the surface of the plate to be lifted must be larger than the support surface of the relative suction plates).
- Remove any protective film before lifting the material to prevent the load from falling.
- After having slowly lifted the load to a height of 20-25 cm, check the centrality and efficiency of the clamping of all the plates in operation before continuing with the handling.
- Do not lift the board to very high heights.
- Never place the suction cup on surfaces containing acids, solvents or products that could damage the joints.
How to choose which type of suction cup suits you best?
At Maser we have a wide variety of manual and pneumatic suction cups, adapted to the size and weight of the material to be lifted, as well as to the place where the work is to be carried out, and which aim to meet the needs of our customers. Our wide range of products with the latest innovations in the sector are available in our online shop where you will also find videos and technical data sheets for each one of them, which will help you to know how to use them. We also have a contact form where we can assist you personally and quickly, do not hesitate to contact us.